Government Relations and Regulatory AffairsApply Job ID 474056BR Date posted 10/14/2021 Location(s) Paris, France; Marseille, France; Lille, France; Bois-Colombes, France
We design, build, manage and modernize the mission-critical technology systems that the world depends on every day. Our people are at the center, discovering, co-creating, and strengthening. We push ourselves and each other to seek better, to go further, and we carry this energy to our customers. In October 2020, IBM announced it's intention to separate the IT Infrastructure Services unit of its Global Technology Services division into a new, separate public company, creating two industry-leading companies - IBM and Kyndryl. The spin-off is expected to be completed by the end of 2021. To find out more about Kyndryl, including information relating to privacy, please visit Kyndryl.com.
Please be aware Kyndryl will continue to use some IBM systems for a certain period after spin-off. This means when you sign up to either the IBM or Kyndryl candidate portal, you will have the benefit of being able to see and apply for IBM and Kyndryl jobs and to access information about IBM and Kyndryl jobs you have applied to, for a limited period from either candidate portal. If you have already signed up as a candidate on IBM’s portal, please continue to use this account to access IBM and Kyndryl jobs.
Your Role and ResponsibilitiesKyndryl Government Affairs Leader, Europe
Kyndryl Government Affairs will be a globally integrated part of the Corporate Affairs function, working directly with governments and with partner stakeholders to improve public policy on issues that positively impact Kyndryl’s growth, business operations and reputation.
Kyndryl will be a spin-off of IBM IT infrastructure services - a business with an Intellectual Property portfolio of 3000+ patents and recognized as a leader by industry analysts.
Today’s world runs on digital systems. By making them the best they can be, we accelerate progress for everyone.
As a focused, independent company, we’re building on our foundation of excellence by creating systems in new ways. Bringing in the right partners, investing in our business, and working side-by-side with our customers to unlock potential. We’re raising the bar.
Our experience speaks for itself: A business with 90,000 highly skilled employees around the world serving 75 of the Fortune 100. But our purpose is what drives us: Advancing the vital systems that power human progress. Because when a digital ecosystem is healthy, it can more readily adapt and support continuous growth—and that opens up a world of possibility for everyone.
The Need in Europe:
Europe will be a leading workforce location and market for Kyndryl, with employees, facilities and clients located across the continent.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and accomplished government affairs professional to devise and implement a new GA strategy for a significant new player in the global and European technology sector.
Europe is also one of the most active regions of the world for the regulation of the technology sector, as well as being a leader in regulatory thinking and actions in the areas of environmental issues, taxation and workforce policy.
These issues, as well as a rising sentiment on Technological Sovereignty in Europe, mean that Kyndryl will require from launch a strong public policy voice and clear and focused Government Affairs strategy.
Kyndryl’s policy interests will comprise a mix of proactive efforts to initiate favorable new rules, and defensive agendas to defeat new proposals that would unreasonably reduce IBM’s flexibility and harm our business environment.
The candidate is therefore expected to establish a strategic and structured approach to achieve longer term goals, with meaningful interim milestone objectives.
Position Summary and Responsibilities:
The Kyndryl Government Affairs Leader, Europe will be located in a major European country and will be accountable for developing and executing a government affairs strategy and action plan to further the company’s external reputation and business interests.
The position has significant potential for influencing and impacting Kyndryl business results and is responsible for extensive sensitive internal and external relationships.
Policy issues are likely to include:
- Positioning of a US HQ’s company in an environment of Technological Sovereignty in Europe;
- Cybersecurity and data policy, including cross-border data flows.
- Workforce policy and the cross-border movement of people, skills and education;
- Negotiation of government incentives, taxation – including social security;
- Data centre energy efficiency regulations and related environmental policy issues.
Close partnering with global GA leadership, the wider Corporate Affairs function and the business leadership in Europe will be essential to executing these responsibilities.
Close teaming is across Kyndryl business units and their executive leaders, including Human Resources, Legal, and various business units with significant employee populations in Europe.
Implementation of action plans is through direct interaction with government officials, leadership in industry and trade associations and work through strategically selected consultants in key markets. Early identification of trade associations Kyndryl should join and participate in will be important.
The position also supports the engagement in public policy advocacy by senior Kyndryl Europe and CHQ executives.
The person will report to the VP Global Government Affairs, based in the US, with a strong dotted line reporting relationship to local management in Europe.
The person will also manage a second GA colleague, based in Central & Eastern Europe, who will be responsible for CEE government affairs strategies.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Experienced professional government affairs with creativity to drive results.
- Strong network of existing relationships, both in the EU and across national governments in wider Europe with a demonstrated ability to influence policy makers.
- Deep understanding of EU public policy development process and points of influence.
- An understanding of how member states approach the same issues.
- An ability to interpret legislation and regulations and to draw general conclusions on the implications for Kyndryl.
- Capable of working with business executives, media, works councils, politicians, association executives, and industry peers.
- Understand how trade associations work and how they can be leveraged in Kyndryl’s interests.
- Experience of working with, and managing, political consultants across diverse markets.
- Demonstrated policy competence in the issues important to Kyndryl (listed above).
- Results-oriented and willing to be held accountable for the achievement of results.
- Self-motivated, have leadership potential and an astute sense of judgement.
- Strong ability to team across different organizations and across the Kyndryl global business structure.
- Capable of working with senior business executives, the media, politicians, officials, trade association executives, and industry peers.
- Adaptable and flexible to work environment: For example, out of town travel as required to meet business commitments and working after normal hours, as business needs may require, handling multiple tasks concurrently, and easily adapting to new assignments, system, tools.
- Plays to win with determination and perseverance a range of challenging environments. Is candid but empathetic to the positions and concerns of others. Drives high performance from peers and team members.
Preferred Technical and Professional ExperienceCritical Skills
Superior communications and interpersonal skills: Persuasive communicator yet with the ability to understand and accommodate diverse views in negotiating changes in government policies and regulations to meet Kyndryl’s needs. Ability to handle complex and sensitive negotiations with absolute integrity.
Problem Solving: Anticipate changes in public policies and governmental regulations that are required to meet Kyndryl’s current and future business needs. Drives the development of innovative strategies and action plans to address these issues. “Sells” these strategies both internally and externally. Thinks outside the box. Develops proactive action plans and solutions to improve Kyndryl’s operating environment.
Contribution/Leadership: Recognized as a leader and expert both internally within Kyndryl and externally by industry associations and government officials. Provides advice, guidance and assistance to country general managers, HR and Legal executives, business units and all members of the Kyndryl management team in areas related to public policy and government relations. Provides “thought leadership” on emerging issues and is perceived by government leaders as the “advisor of choice” on public policy issues based on demonstrated expertise and personal relationships. Viewed as a positive contributor to public policy and regulatory development processes.
Being You @ Kyndryl
Kyndryl is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. Kyndryl is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Other things to know
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Primary Job Category
Role (Job Role)
Government & Regulatory Affairs Professional
Up to 10% or 1 day a week
(Y024) Kyndryl France S.A.S.
Is this role a commissionable / sales incentive based position